German Longsword study group located in
Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Welcome to the Vier Leger study group blog, our vehicle for growing awareness of medieval swordsmanship in our local area.

Welcome
About Our Group
Contact Us

Please use the Blog Archive panel, located on the lower right, to navigate our site.

Sunday 19 October 2008

The Rules

Many of our rules are commonsense and will be familiar to those who have trained in other martial arts. If you are interested in training with our group, we require you to read and agree to abide by these rules.

1. Respect participants; Respect the Sword
I understand that a sword, regardless of its material construction, is a potentially dangerous weapon and if used inappropriately will cause harm to others. I accept my responsibility to act with care and safety at all times and to do no harm, whether through personal carelessness, inattention or inappropriate action. I accept that while the session leader and their appointed representative(s) will monitor and supervise the group, it is my responsibility to ensure my own safety, and the safety of my actions in regard to others.

2. Train appropriate to your partners' needs
I understand that I may be required to train with partners of varying skill levels. I will make every effort to ensure that my partners' needs, in respect to their current skill level, are considered when undertaking training with them. I will always ask when unsure.

3. Contact appropriate to pre-determined levels
I accept my responsibility to avoid or minimise weapon contact with my partner(s). I understand that different levels of weapon contact may be made in different exercises as determined by the session leader, and undertake to adhere to these determinations, emphasising safety and respect at all times. I will ensure that all my safety gear is in good working condition before use. Where I do not have or cannot obtain safety gear appropriate for a particular drill or exercise, I will not participate.

4. Obtain consent
I understand the importance of ensuring that my partner is ready before any drill or exercise is started. I understand that this may be made by verbal or non-verbal means such as a nod, hand gesture or salute. I understand that I may withdraw my consent to participate at any time, and when necessary to do so, I shall do so verbally in a clear, loud manner, and I will aim to do so at a time and in such a way that no harm is brought to any person(s).

5. Come to attention
I understand that I am required to come to attention when the session leader or their appointed representative is delivering instructions or explanations to myself individually, or to the group as a whole. For safety, this is done by holding the sword at rest in a vertical position, either straight up or straight down; if I am unsure I will ask.

6. Train clean
I understand that it is my responsibility to ensure that my body and clothing are reasonably clean, and that any open wounds are appropriately covered, before training for the safety and comfort of all participants. I also accept that attending a session whilst under the influence of drugs or alcohol is unacceptable and will result in exclusion from all future sessions.

We reserve the right to amend or edit these rules at any time. We undertake to inform all registered participants of any changes as soon as possible after such changes or additions are made.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Last Updated 19 Oct 08

No comments: